Monday, October 1, 2007

Etsy has Everything

Etsy is a website most crafters know about; they have individual shops where hand-made goods are sold. Much of what is on Etsy is one-of-a-kind. Which is wonderful. And, you can find most anything there.

When I was a child, I had an obsession with magnets that looked like food. My mother bought the hand-made magnets from an African-American man who lived on the street in Berkeley. We had a hamburger magnet, we had several chocolate truffle magnets, we had a banana, a cherry, and inexplicably, a broccoli magnet. But my favorite magnet was the giant taco. It was a hard shell corn taco, and it was overflowing with lettuce, cheese, and tomatoes. A little sour cream smudge graced one edge. I don't know what it wa about this taco, but I loved to look at it, and play with it, and on special occassions, try to feed it to the cat. When the taco was knocked off the fridge, and broke in half, I cried all night. And I was like twelve by then. Way too old for crying over broken magnets.

Well, I hadn't though of those food magnets that graced my childrenhood fridge for years. Probably, for over fifteen years. And then, in one moment, there they were on Etsy. My food magnets. And that's what's so great about Etsy.

No comments: